Tuesday 21 June 2011

A Riddle of Bullets


I had walked past this monument many times without paying it a great deal of attention. Then, one day, I looked up and noticed the spray of pock marks, mainly concentrated down one side. And when I looked closely at the wonderful ornate iron-work railings which surround it, I could see that the was damage on that same side...





What could have caused this? My first thought was that this might have been caused by the blast from one of the bombs dropped in this area during the Second World War. However, if this was the case, then the cemetery staff had certainly done an amazing job cosmetically restoring the surrounding area (had they really bothered to place a Victorian grave marker in the line of where the blast must've come from, purely as cosmetic restoration?). Then, John, one of the participants in the project told me that he believed this to be the result of a German plane strafing the monument with machine gun fire. Having seen quite a few pock marked target walls previously, I can see that this is the kind of damage canons and/or machine guns might cause. 


I wonder how many people have noticed this as they pass? 


Colin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment